Development of selective chemical tool box useful for analyses of the ubiquitin ligase substrates
Yousuke Takaoka, PhD
Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University, Laboratory of Organic Chemistry I
The plant hormone jasmonates (JA) mediates plant defense responses against environmental stresses such as herbivore and pathogen attacks. 7-iso-(+)-jasmonoyl-L-isoleucine (JA-Ile), an active form of JA, induces protein-protein interaction (PPI) between COI1, the F-box protein in the SCFCOI1 ubiquitin E3 ligase complex, and the JAZ transcriptional repressor protein. This interaction causes JAZ degradation via proteasome, leading to plant defense responses, as well as growth inhibition or senescence. COI1 and 13 subtypes of JAZ are encoded in the genome of Arabidopsis thaliana, and JA-Ile can induce PPI between COI1 and most of JAZ subtypes to cause various physiological responses at the same time. However, the detailed function or ubiquitination sites/patterns of most of JAZ subtypes have not been elucidated so far, partially due to the genetic redundancy of JAZ genes. We developed comprehensive detection methods for PPI between COI1 and JAZ or JAZ and transcriptional factors (TFs). Based on these methods, we succeeded in the rational design of JAZ-subtype selective agonist that induces PPI between specific JAZ and COI1 (Nat. Commun. 2018). Furthermore, we have recently developed a JAZ-based stapled peptide as a selective inhibitor for JA-related TFs (RSC Chem. Biol. 2021). In this project, by using our original chemical tools, we would elucidate such complexed JA signaling pathway related to the regulation mechanism of the plant growth and defense responses, as well as the ubiquitination analyses of JAZ in planta
- Inagaki H, *Miyamoto K, Ando N, Murakami K, Sugisawa K, Yumoto E, Teruya M, Uchida K, Nobuki K, Kaji T, Takaoka Y, Hojo Y, Shinya T, Galis I, Nozawa A, Sawasaki T, Nojiri H, Ueda M, Okada K.
Deciphering OPDA signaling components in the momilactone-producing moss Calohypnum plumiforme.
Front. Plant Sci. 12, Article 688565 (2021) (Invited Article)
- Saito R, Hayashi K, Nomoto H, Nakayama M, Takaoka Y, Saito H, Yamagami S, Muto T, *Ueda M.
Extended JAZ degron sequence for plant hormone binding in jasmonate co-receptor of tomato SlCOI1-SlJAZ.
Sci. Rep. 11, 13612 (2021)
- Takaoka Y, Suzuki K, Nozawa A, Takahashi H, Sawasaki T, Ueda M.
Protein-protein interactions between jasmonate-related master regulator MYC and transcriptional mediator MED25 depend on a short binding domain.
J Biol Chem. 298, 101504 (2022)
- Takaoka Y, Uchinomiya S, Kobayashi D, Endo M, Hayashi T, Fukuyama Y, Hayasaka H, Miyasaka M, Ueda T, Shimada I, *Hamachi I.
Endogenous Membrane Receptor Labeling by Reactive Cytokines and Growth Factors to Chase Their Dynamics in Live Cells.
Chem 4, 1451-1464 (2018)
- Takaoka Y, Iwahashi M, Chini A, Saito H, Ishimaru Y, Egoshi S, Kato N, Tanaka M, Bashir K, Seki M, Solano R, *Ueda M.
A rationally designed JAZ subtype-selective agonist of jasmonate perception.
Nat. Commun. 9, 3654 (2018)
- *Takaoka Y, Nagumo K, Azizah IN, Oura S, Iwahashi M, Kato N, *Ueda M.
A Comprehensive in vitro fluorescence anisotropy assay system for screening ligands of the jasmonate COI1-JAZ co-receptor in plants.
J. Biol. Chem. 294, 5074-5081 (2019)
- Takeuchi J, Fukui K, Seto Y, *Takaoka Y, *Okamoto M.
Ligand-receptor interactions in plant hormone signaling.
The Plant Journal. 105, 290-306 (2021) (Review Article)
- Suzuki K, *Takaoka Y, Ueda M.
Rational design of a stapled JAZ9 peptide inhibiting protein-protein interaction of a plant transcription factor.
RSC. Chem. Biol. 2, 499-502 (2021)